The Spivey, Porter, Creasey & Griffis Families
The Porter, Creasey Connection
My mother, Mrs. Lena Lucy (Porter) Boyd, was born October 15, 1882 in Ozark, Christian County, Missouri. Her parents came from Giles County, Tennessee about the year 1873-4 and settled in the Hopedale settlement in Christian County, Missouri. Her father was John R. Porter born July 6, 1852 in Wayne County, Tennessee. Her mother was Lucy A. (Spivey) Porter born December 28, 1852 in Giles County, Tennessee. Lucy was the daughter of Thomas Spivey and Eliza (Lizzie) Patterson. John R. Porter was the son of Henry Porter and Mary Ann Creasy.
We have not been able to find much on my great grandfather Henry Porter up to this date (1989), except that he was born in North Carolina in 1822 from census records.
Mary Ann Creasy's father came from Virginia to Tennessee in the early 1800's as a boy with his parents. Noted in the Cumberland County, Virginia marriage list:
William Creasy and Nancy Carter were married 26 September 26, 1784. The signers were
William Creasy and Peter Montague. In the early 1800's William Creasy Sr. (Creesy-Creecy-Creasy, the name is spelled 3 or 4 different ways in as many different census
records), and his wife Nancy (Carter) Creasy moved from Virginia to Giles County, Tennessee.
There known children were: 1. William Creasy Jr. born 1794 in Virginia; 2. Jessie Creasy born
March 8, 1800 in Virginia; 3. John Creasy born 1817 in Tennessee.
A listing in the land records of Giles County Tennessee: North Carolina Grant #29 -
Martin Armstrong - 5,000 A., beginning at John Armstrong's SE corner and Wm. R. Murfree's
NW corner, W with Mr. Armstrong's S line 640 poles to Polk's NE corner, S with his E line 1,250
poles to his SE corner, E 640 poles to Murfree's SW corner, N 1,250 poles to the beginning. 10
July, 1788 Martin Armstrong sold John McNairy of Davidson Co. the said 5,000 A. 22 Mar. 1817
John McNairy of Davidson Co. sold John Brittain 400 A. for $1,800 in Giles Co. on Bradshaw's
Creek, part of 5,000 A. granted to Martin Armstrong by NC Grant #29, 10 Jul 1788, and
conveyed by him to John McNairy. Beginning at the SE corner of the grant, W 253 poles, N 253
poles, E 253 poles to the east line of the grant, S 253 poles to the beginning. Witnesses:
Alexander Thompson, Wm Creecy (my 2nd great grandfather). (Giles Co. C-105).
22 Mar 1817 John McNairy of Davidson Co. sold Alexander Thompson of Giles Co., 2,100 A. for $3,450 in Giles Co. on Bradshaw Creek, part of 5,000 A. granted Martin Armstrong by NC Grant #29, 10 July 1788, and conveyed by him to John McNairy, beginning at John Brittain's SW corner in the S line of the 5,000 A. grant, W with said line to the SW corner of the grant, N with the W line of the grant 595 poles, E to a stake in the E line of the 5,000 A., S 253 poles to the beginning. Witnesses: John Brittain, Wm Creacy (Giles Co. C-104).
14 Apr 1817 Alexander Thompson sold Wm Creecy, Sr. (my 3rd great grandfather), 323 A. of the 2,100 A. for $625, beginning at McCanless' NW corner, S 25 degrees W 225 poles to
McCanless' SW corner, W 208 poles to the W line of the grant, N 201 poles to Thomas Farmer's SE corner, E 297 poles to the beginning. (Giles Co. C-140) 22 Jun 1836 Wm Creecy, Sr. sold John Creecy 49-1/2 A. for $150, beginning in Wm Creecy's N line 76 poles E of his NW corner, S 43 poles, S 66 degrees E 104 poles, N 26 degrees E 94 poles to the N line, W 138 poles to the beginning, but Wm Creecy hereby reserves to himself and his wife Nancy a life estate of and to the same. Witnesses: Thomas Martin, Henry A. Shoster (Giles Co. M-207). 28 Oct. 1836 Wm Creecy sold Jesse Creecy 121-1/2 A. for $500, beginning at McCanless' NW corner, S 25 degrees, W 137 poles to Wm Creecy, Jr.'s (my 2nd great grandfather), corner, up a branch 60 poles, with his line 5 poles to John Creecy's corner, N 72 degrees W 105 poles to his corner, N 111 poles to Thomas Clark's corner, E 76 poles, S 43 poles, S 66 degrees E 104 poles, N 26 degrees E 94 poles to a stake in the E and W line, E to the beginning, but Wm Creacy hereby reserves to himself and his wife Nancy a life estate of and to the same. Witnesses: Thomas Martin, Henry Shorter. (Giles Co. M-207).
As is noted in the land records of Giles County, Tennessee, William Creecy Sr. and his three sons and their families all lived in the same land area in Giles County.
About the year 1818, William Creecy Jr. married a lady named Martha and they had five known children. They were: 1. William C.; 2. Mary Ann (my great grandmother); 3. Sarah Ann (Sally); 4. Nancy; 5. Jesse.
In the year 1850, Mary Ann Creecy had already left home and married my great
grandfather Henry Porter and was living in Wayne County, Tennessee with 3 children. The 1850
census of Wayne County, Tennessee shows the following:
Porter, Henry - age 28 - head of household b. N.C.
" , Mary Ann - age 30 - housewife b. Tenn.
" , Martha - age 4 - Daut. b. "
" , Nancy - age 2 - Daut. b. "
" , Thomas - age 4/12 - Son b. "
In the 1850 census of Giles County, Tennessee, Mary Ann's parents were listed with her
brothers and sisters. Census # 1432-1010:
Creasey, William Jr. - age 56 - Farmer b. Va.
" , Martha - age 60 - wife b. Va.
" , William C. - age 32 - son b. Tenn.
" , Sally - age 30 - daut. b. "
" , Nancy - age 28 - daut. b. "
" , Jessie - age 22 - son b. "
In the same 1850 census of Giles County, Tennessee, William Jr.'s two younger brothers
were listed. Jessie was listed as # 1431-1010 and John was listed as # 1433-1010. The two census
1850 census of Giles County, Tennessee # 1431-1010
Creasey, Jessie - age -50 - farmer - b. Va.
" , Catherine - " - 43 - wife - b. Tenn.
" , Minerva J. - " - 15 - daut. - b. "
" , George T. - " - 13 - son - b. "
" , Wesley W. - " -11 - son - b. "
" , Carson M. - " -10 - son - b. "
" , Francis C. - " - 9 - daut. - b. "
" , Charles N. - " - 6 - son - b. "
" , Ann E. - " - 4 - daut. - b. "
1850 census of Giles County, Tennessee #1433-1010
Creasey, John - age - 33 - farmer - b. Tenn.
" , Susan - " - 25 - wife - b. Va.
" , Nancy J. - " - 4 - daut. - b. Tenn.
" , William L. - " - 3 - son - b. "
" , Martha A. - " - 1 - daut. - b. "
Sometime during the 1850's, we think it was the year 1855, Jessie Creasey and family moved
to Missouri. They were listed in the 1860 census of Christian County, Missouri in the Porter
Township, page 51.
1860 census of Christian County, Missouri
Creecy, Jessie - age - 60 - farmer - b. Va.
" , Catherine - " - 53 - wife - b. Tenn.
" , Minerva J. - " - 25 - daut. - b. "
" , George T. - " - 22 - son - b. "
" , Francis C. - " - 19 - daut. - b. "
" , Lennon - " - 17 - son - b. "
" , Charles - " - 16 - son - b. "
" , Ann Eliza - " - 14 - daut. - b. "
Thomas Porter (my grandfather John Porter's brother), was listed in the 1860 census of
Wayne County, Tennessee. Sometime during the 1860's he left Tennessee and came to Christian
County, Missouri to live with his uncle Jessie Creasey. It was there he would eventually marry
Jessie Creasy's daughter Ann Eliza. In the late 1860's, they moved to Texas with some of the
Creasey family. In the 1880 census of Franklin County, Texas, Thomas porter was listed with his
family living with George Creasey, his wife's brother. Thomas's eldest child Fannie, was listed as
10 years of age and born in Texas, which indicates they came to Texas either in the late 1860's, or
in the year 1870.
The 1880 census of Franklin County, Texas
Creasey, George - age - 42 - farmer - b. Va.
Porter , Thomas - " - 28 - Brother-in-law - b. Tenn.
" , Ann E. - " - 25 - sister to Geo. - b. Tenn.
" , Fannie - " - 10 - daut. - b. Texas
" , Walinda - " - 5 - daut. twin - b. "
" , Walinsa - " - 5 - daut. twin - b. "
" , Ramey - " - 3 - daut. - b. "
The Spivey-Griffis Connection
The Spivey Family
My 2nd great grandfather Henry Spivey, married Lucy Griffis. Lucy was born in 1785 in Virginia and died circa 1860/70 in Giles County, Tennessee. She was the daughter of Thomas and Sarah Griffis. Henry Spivey was born 1779 in Virginia and died circa 1860/70 in Giles County, Tennessee. He was listed on the 1812 Tax list of Maury County, Tennessee. He sold his farm and moved to Giles County before 1850. Henry and Lucy had 7 children as follows:
I. William Spivey, born 1804/10. Married March 8, 1828, Maury County, Tennessee, Sally Wilkes. Sally was born 1804/10. She is the daughter of Minor Wilkes and Lucy Walker. In the 1830 census of Maury County, they had a daughter under 5 years of age listed. They were not found in subsequent censuses until 1850, when two sons were in the household of her brother John Wilkes in Randolph County, Missouri. They were: William Spivey born 1834 in Tennessee and Minor Spivey born 1836 in Tennessee.
II. Elizabeth Spivey, born 1807. Married April 4, 1832, David Wilkes.
III. Poeba J. Spivey, born 1810 in Tennessee. Died after 1880. She never married. She was in the household of Thomas Spivey in 1870 and with the widow of Mathew Spivey in 1880.
IV. Mathew Spivey, born May 25 1812 in Maury County, Tennessee. Died December 25, 1879. Married Sarah N. Dodson who was born September 30, 1815 in Tennessee and died August 11, 1856. Both were buried in Elk Ridge Cemetery, Giles County, Tennessee. She was the daughter of Jordon and Mary Dodson. Mathew left 440 acres of land to be divided between 15 children of their heirs. They had 16 children as follows:
1. Henry Jordan Spivey, born 1835. Married (1) Mary A. ?, born 1834 in Tennessee. Moved to Lawrence County before 1879. There he married (2) March 8, 1885, Sarah A. Jordon. He was in Company C, Holman's Cavalry, C.S.A.. Issue 10 children: 1. Thomas Albert, born 1856; 2. Jordan, born 1858; 3. Sarah N., born 1859. Married W. N. Edwards; 4. Tabitha J., born 1861; 5. Martha L., born 1863. Married James Clark; 6. Elizabeth T., born 1865. Married T. P. Nance; 7. Alice M., born 1867; 8. Ellen, born 1869. Married William Neely; 9. Florence K., born 1872. Married Joseph Walker; 10. Lydia, born 1886. Married J. L. McCallum.
2. Mary Ann Spivey, born 1837. Married J. M. Fitzpatrick in Giles County, Tennessee.
3. Eliza Jane Spivey, born 1839, died before 1879. Married Robert O. N. Osburn, born 1829. Issue: 1. George N., born 1858; 2. W. A. They moved to Collin County, Texas before 1879.
4. Jemima Elizabeth Spivey, born 1841, died before 1879. Married James M. Wilson, born 1837. Issue: 1. John W., born 1859; 2. Zacheus D. They moved to Arkansas before 1879.
5. James K. Polk Spivey, born July 1844. Married November 18, 1873, Marshall County, Tennessee, Elizabeth Thompson, born October 1847. Issue: 1. Mathew, born March 1876; 2. Lillie, born December 1880.
6. Martha T. Spivey, born 1847. Married September 20, 1868, Giles County, Tennessee, William H. Colvett, born 1849. Issue: 1. Fredrick, born 1870.
7. Mathew Columbus C. (Lum) Spivey, born November 9, 1849, died March 20, 1924. Married (1) February 1, 1872, Giles County, Tennessee, Octavia M. Hill. Married (2) December 19, 1878, Marshall County, Tennessee, Mary Belle Richardson, born September 16, 1857. Died June 19, 1902. Buried Elk Ridge. Issue 10 children: 1. Beulah L., born 1873. Married Thomas Travis Boyd; 2. Ida Belle, born 1875. Married John J. Martin; 3. Galena Mary, born 1880. Married J. H. Cozart; 4. Edward, born 1881; 5. John H., born 1884; 6. Mathew, born 1887; 7. William, born 1889; 8. Thomas B., born 1891, died December 13, 1918 from wounds received in World War I; 9. Annie, born 1894; 10. Blackston, born 1897.
8. William R. Spivey, born December 24, 1852, died June 12, 1930. Married March 23, 1876, Mary A. Jones, born October 2, 1857, died June 12, 1930. Both buried at Elk Ridge Cemetery. William was a minister.
9. Nancy A. O. Spivey, born October 13, 1855, died September 9, 1856. Buried at Elk Ridge Cemetery.
10. Samuel W. Spivey, born July 1858. Married September 15, 1884, Giles County, Izora Martin, born January 1868. In 1900 they had no children.
11. George C. Spivey, born 1861.
12. Sarah C. Spivey, born 1863. Married January 22, 1879, Giles County, W. L. Richardson.
13. John H. Spivey, born June 1864. Married December 3, 1885, Giles County, Mary E. Martin, born November 1862. Issue: 1. Brown, born 1886; 2. Maud, born 1888; 3. William, born 1892; 3. Annie, born 1895.
14. Susan E. Spivey, born 1868.
15. Walter Spivey, born 1870.
16. David L. Spivey, born 1874.
V. Sally Spivey, born November 18, 1809, died June 9, 1884. Married July 14, 1829, Maury County, Tennessee, Lorenzo Drew Sanders, born November 29, 1808. They moved to Lee County, Mississippi before 1860 and both are buried in the Beulah Smith Cemetery next to the Old Free Will Baptist Church about 8 miles north of Tupelo, Mississippi. Issue, 10 children as follows:
1. William Henry Sanders, born 1831.
2. Robert J. Sanders, born 1833.
3. Ellen J. Sanders, born 1836.
4. George W. Sanders, born 1837.
5. Joseph H. Sanders, born 1839.
6. Airretta H. Sanders, born 1841.
7. Lorenzo Sanders, born 1843.
8. Sarah E. Sanders, born 1845.
9. Salona A. Sanders, born 1847.
10. Josephine C. Sanders, born 1849. Married R. A. Motley.
VI Lavisa Spivey, born 1815. Married November 1830, Maury County, Tennessee, Daniel D. Walker. Issue, 7 children as follows:
1. Martha Walker, born 1815. Married October 14, 1850 Giles County, Tennessee, James Spivey. Son of Benjamin and Rhoda Spivey. William Henry Sanders was the security on their marriage bond.
2. Lucy A. Walker, born 1833.
3. Harry W. Walker, born July 25, 1835, died May 6, 1887. Married Hannah M. Doggett, born December 25, 1833, died January 1916. Both buried Robertson's Fork. She was a daughter of Thomas and Joanna Doggett.
4. Elizabeth J. Walker, born 1838.
5. James Walker, born 1840.
6. Eliza L. Walker, born 1843.
7. Margaret E. Walker, born 1846.
VII Thomas Spivey, (my great grandfather), born 1823, died before 1870. Married Eliza Patterson, born 1822. She is the daughter of Moses Patterson and Tabitha Dodson. Issue, 7 children as follows:
1. William Henry Spivey, born 1841. Married Caroline (Candy) Strickland, born 1845. He was in Company B 3rd Inf., C.S.A., Issue: 1. Thomas, born 1861; 2. Ophelia, married Taylor Chochran; 3. William (Willie), born 1868, died young; 4. Caroline, born 1870; 5. Irene, married Ed Langston. Children, Lloyd, Al, Joe, Edna; 6. Doe, married Nancy Barnard. Children, Warren, Wilmer, Catherine; 7. Onis, married Marion Hubble. Children, Pauline, Levy, Bill, Covela, Dow, Madeline; 8. Everett, married Fay Parsons. Children, Venoy; 9. Josie, married James Jenkins. Children, James, Edward, Iren, Clifford, George; 10. Pascal, married Grace Tules. Children, Lloyd.
2. Pheba Jane Spivey, born 1843. Married December 29, 1869, Giles County, Tennessee, Charles M. Fitzpatrick, born 1845. Issue: 1. Benton (Bennie), died young; 2. Mattie, married Jud Cameron. Children, Ralph; 3. Lucy, married Doll Dalts. Children, Hobart, Roxena.
3. Lorenzo Dow Spivey, born 1847. Married January 28, 1869, Marshall County, Tennessee, Mary L. (Molly) Agnew, born 1851. He was in the 11th Cavalry, C.S.A.. Issue: 1. Luly, married Comadore Gibson. Children, Ralph, Bessie; 2. Nora, married Charley Cox; 3. Stant, married Maybell Wagoner. Children, Ward, Joe; 4. Arthur, married Pearl Beatie.
4. James N. Spivey, born 1845. Served in Company I, 32nd Inf. and Company C, Holman's Cavalry in C.S.A.. He never fully recovered from wounds he received in the war and was listed in 1870 census as "afflicted".
5. George W. Spivey, born 1849.
6. Thomas J. Spivey, born 1851. Married August 5, 1869, Giles County, Tennessee, Margaret M. Helmick, born 1853. Issue: 1. Jonas, born 1873. Married Ella Batie. Children, Angie; 2. Oscar, born 1876. Married Bertha McClenehan; 3. Minnie, born 1879. Married (1) ? Bradford. Children, May. Married (2) Will Pendigras. Children, James, Fred, Love, Jones, Ray, Charley, Christie, Margaret, William, Maggie, Goldie; 4. Nannie, married Jim Salts. Children, Maud, Hona, Hester; 5. Jim, married Mattie Finkbinder. Children, Leta, Ples, Carl Stanley, Clarence, Juanita, Rosa, May, James, Everette; 6. Ples, married Josie Finkbinder. Children, Rachael, Lyle, Ruth, Thomas, Willard, Clifford; 7. Lillie, married Vernon Davidson. Children, Ila, Aleva, Forest, Paul Ester, Ralph, Jack, Donald, Joan.
7. Lucy A. Spivey (my grandmother), born 1853. Married John R. Porter, born July 6
1851 in Wayne County, Tennessee. Issue: 1. Lena Lucy (my mother), born October 15,
1892. Married Samuel Boyd, born January 21, 1893. Children, William R., John R.,
Lola A., Betty Jane, Mary Jo; 2. Mary Jane, born October 19, 1894; 3. Herschel, born
June 1895, married Ella Austin. Children, Gerald.
The Griffis Family
Thomas Griffis and his wife Sarah (my 3rd great grandparents), were in Brunswick County, Virginia in 1790. They would move to Granville County, North Carolina before 1800. Their daughter Nancy, married Thomas Cavender there in 1801. From there they moved to Jefferson County, Tennessee where their daughter Delilah, married Miller Doggett on September 9, 1807. They then moved to Giles County, Tennessee about the year 1810. Thomas Griffis, Miller Doggett, Thomas Cavender, Henry Spivey and Anderson Griffis were listed in the 1812 Giles County Tax List. Thomas Griffis lived on what is now called Calvert's Branch, just south of Bear Creek. This is approximately where the late Olin Calvert lived. Anderson Griffis lived on adjoining land before moving to Mississippi. Thomas Cavender lived northwest of Thomas Griffis and Miller Doggett lived west of him on land later known as the Lowery Place. The children of Thomas and Sarah Griffis were as follows:
I. Anderson Griffis, born 1783 in Virginia, died October 1858 in Giles County, Tennessee. Married Elizabeth Jones, born 1797 in North Carolina, died October 4, 1859. She was the daughter of William Jones and Sarah Armstrong. He was in Giles County in 1812. In 1820, he was in Monroe County, Mississippi. They returned from Mississippi about 1824/5. In a deposition it was stated that he died of Dropsy and had been unwell for some time. They had 11 children as follows:
1. Elizabeth Diana Griffis, born March 18, 1818 in Giles County, Tennessee, died August 4, 1880. Married David Marion Kincaid, born March 15, 1802, died July 6, 1877. Both buried in Kincaid Cemetery. Issue: 1. Thomas, born 1848. Moved to east Tennessee; 2. Franklin Anderson (Bud), born December 11, 1850, died February 23, 1926. Buried Kincaid Cemetery; 3. Sarah Lewina Alice, born August 13, 1853, died January 11, 1884. Married May 29, 1879, Henry Bryce Jones. Both buried in Kincaid Cemetery; 4. Donnie Clemintine Tennessee, born February 21, 1856, died July 22, 1920. Married August 25, 1881, W. Harvey Doggett. Both buried Marr's Hill; 5. Joseph E., born 1858.
2.-3.-4. Three daughters. One born 1815/20 and two 1820/25 but unidentified. One was in Anderson Griffis' household in the 1840 census of Giles County, Tennessee, with two daughters 0-5 years old.
5. William J. Griffis, born January 25, 1823 in Monroe County, Mississippi. Died March 10, 1873. Married October 1, 1846, Marshall County, Tennessee, Sarah Ann Smith, born 1826, died October 20, 1880. Both are buried at Robertson Fork. She is the daughter of William S. and Elizabeth Smith of Virginia. Issue: 1. Elizabeth B. Griffis, born 1847; 2. Tabitha L. Griffis born 1848. Both died between December 30, 1855 and January 10, 1856 along with 3 other children not identified. All believed buried at Robertson Fork; 3. Martha A. Griffis, born 1856, died 1870; 4. Richard Lafayette Griffis, born March 1858. Married, December 21, 1876, Marshall County, Tennessee, Anna P. Head, born January 1, 1855, died March 13, 1900. Buried Beechwood Cemetery, Cornersville, Marshall County, Tennessee. Children: Floyd, born August 1878; Maurice, born March 1881; Edna, born November 1883. Richard L. Griffis and his children moved to Texas after the death of his wife; 5. Henry Jefferson Griffis, born December 11, 1861, died May 26, 1884. Buried Robertson Fork Cemetery. He was engaged to marry Emma Bryant Alford at the time of his death; 6. James Jackson Griffis, born January 13, 1864, died September 20, 1889, Dallas, Texas; 7. Sarah Emily Griffis, born 1866. Married December 14, 1887, Marshall County, E. L. Orr; 8. Robert Darnell (Dee) Griffis, born 1869, died July 5, 1941, Paris, Texas. Married June 24, 1891, Mattie Bryant, born March 20, 1867, died July 20, 1928, Paris, Texas. Daughter of John Amos Bryant and Sarah Caldonia Fry. From a short biography "...known as Dr. Dee Griffis, was born in Robertson Fork...the youngest of 10 children...not many of which lived to be 21 years of age...5 died between 30 Dec 1855 and 10 Jan 1856, a period of 10 days. Other children moved to Paris, Texas, some going as early as 1891. His father, Wm. J. was a son of Anderson and Elizabeth Griffis." Children: 1. Gladys Griffis, born January 24, 1894, Paris, Texas, died April 17, 1976, Paris, Texas. She was the first woman to graduate from Vanderbilt Dental School, Nashville, Tennessee; 2. Bonnie Griffis, born March 10, 1899, Paris.
6. Sarah R. Griffis, born 1826, Giles County, Tennessee.
7. Isabella C. Griffis, born 1828, Giles County, Tennessee. Married a man named West.
8. Nancy Emily Griffis, born 1837, Giles County, Tennessee. Was not married in 1863.
9. John S. Griffis, born 1837, Giles County, Tennessee, died March 12, 1862. Married Minty Clementine last name unknown. She married (2) December 24, 1865, Giles County, John G. Smith. John S. Griffis was a 3rd Lt. of D Company, 53rd Inf., C.S.A.. He joined the army about October 1861 and died in service. Issue: 1. John Clementine Griffis, born 1838, Giles County.
10. Josephine Paralee Griffis, born 1838, Giles County.
11. Francis Damaris Griffis, born 1844, Giles County. Married (1) William H. Jordan, son of
Henry Jordan and Elizabeth Winchester. He was a member of H Company, 41st Inf.,
C.S.A. and died during the War. Frances married (2) January 23, 1868, Giles County,
II. Nancy Griffis, born 1784 in Virginia, died 1850/60 in Giles County, Tennessee. Married, January 13, 1801, Granville County, North Carolina, Thomas Cavender, born 1774, Virginia, died 1847, Giles County, Tennessee. Son of George and Sarah Cavender. They came to Giles County circa 1810. He appeared on the 1812 Tax List of Giles County. He purchased 82 acres of the Porterfield Grant and was joined on the west by Miller Doggett, south by Thomas Griffis, north by Miller Doggett and Henry Spivey, and on the east by David Calvert. They had nine children as follows:
1. George Cavender, born April 25, 1802, Granville County, N. C., died July 12, 1883. Buried in the Old Bear Creek Cemetery. Married (1) April 22, 1828, Maury County, Tennessee, Sally B. Wilkes. Married (2) June 30, 1846, Marshall County, Tennessee, Sarah Elizabeth Agnew.
2. Henry Cavender, born 1810. Married February 20, 1830, Maury County, Polly Ann Wilkes.
3. Elizabeth Cavender, born 1812, Giles County. Married James Porter, died March 1850. Issue: 1. Jane Porter, born 1831; 2. Mary Ann Porter, born 1833. Married July 11, 1850, Marshall County, Azer Osburne.
4. Willie James Cavender, born May 18, 1814, Giles County, died February 13, 1894, Giles County. Married August 29, 1835 Lewis Skidmore Hodge. Issue: 1. James M. Hodge, born 1837. Married Jane Wells; 2. Sarah L. Hodge, born 1839. Married William Williamson; 3. Samuel W. Hodge, born 1841. Killed in Georgia during Civil War; 4. Lewis Jackson Hodge, born 1846. Married Margaret Ann Davis; 5. Harris M. Lodge, born 1848 Married (1) Fanny Benton (2) Grace Padgett; 6. Henry F. Hodge. Married (1) Alice Reives (2) Mamie Reives; 7. Nancy Evelyn Hodge. Married William Harrison Tunnelle; 8. Mary Catherine Hodge, born 1856. Married Samuel L. Craig.
5. Evaline Cavender, born 1816, Giles County. Married James Colvett. Moved to Carroll County, Tennessee before 1860. Issue: 1. Nancy L., born 1841; 2. John T., born 1843; 3. Mary J., born 1847; 4. Sarah E., born 1850; 5. Franklin P., born 1853; 6. William C., born 1855; 7. Eleanor C., born 1857.
6. Catherine Cavender, born 1820, Giles County. Married John Waldron. Moved to Carroll County, Tennessee before 1860.
7. Nancy Cavender, born 1822, Giles County. Married William H. Smith. Moved to Gibson County, Tennessee before 1860. Issue: 1. James, born 1839; 2. Obedience, born 1850.
8. Rebecca Cavender, born 1825, Giles County. Married Edwin Lee. Moved to Maury County. Issue: 1. William, born 1847; 2. Susan, born 1850.
9. Thomas J. Cavender, born September 4, 1827, Giles County, died May 14, 1891, Maury County. Married Lucretia Hickman, born December 25, 1831, Giles County, died November 9, 1898, Maury County. Daughter of Jesse and Jane Hickman. All buried New Ramey Cemetery near Culleoka, Maury County, Tennessee. Issue: 1. George C., born 1852; 2. Jesse D., born 1854. Married a woman named Nancy; 3. Ophelia J., born October 15, 1855, died Mar 30, 1900. Married W. T. Green; 4. Sarah E., born 1858; 5. Noah Shakespere, born 1864. Married Mattie Cooper; 6. Bedford E., born 1869. Married Laurine (Lou) Morrow; 7. John, born 1874. Married Roxanna Holder.
III. Lucy Griffis, born 1785, died 1860/70, Giles County, Tennessee. Married Henry
Spivey, born 1779, Virginia, died 1860/70, Giles County, Tennessee. He was listed on the 1812
Tax List of Maury County, Tennessee. He sold his farm and moved to Giles County before 1850.
Issue: (See Spivey Family this chapter).
IV. Thomas Griffis, born 1787, Virginia, died 1850/60. Married (1) June 18, 1808, Gates County, North Carolina, Polly Hill. Married (2) January 16, 1810, Williamson County, Elizabeth
Taylor, died August 27, 1858, Marshall County, Tennessee. Daughter of Frederick Taylor, died 1841, Marshall County, Tennessee. In the settlement of her estate in 1858 was an account with the firm of Knight and Smiley for $13.32 from April 5, 1858 to August 27, 1858. Some of the last items: 12 August, 1 vial of Laudanum (tincture of opium); 17 August, 1 vial of sweet oil; 18 August, 1 bottle of French Brandy - $0.85; 27 August, one shroud - $4.35. Also, a claim by son-in-law John Clinton for $100 for 3 1/2 years board. The accounts were settled in full and her estate has 89.27 remaining. Thomas Griffis had as many as 10 daughters. Several of them married in Bedford County and could not be identified. Among their children who were identified:
1. Drucilla Griffis, born 1820. Married February 1, 1838, Marshall County, Samuel Thomas, died before 1850. Issue: 1. Richard, born 1840; 2. Amanda, born 1845; 3. William, born 1848.
2. Elizabeth D. Griffis, born 1828. Married, March 30, 1853, Marshall County, Robert E. Marshall, born 1814. Elizabeth was in the household of John Clinton with Thomas Griffis and family in 1850 census. A girl, Lucinda Griffis, age 4, was in the same household. In the 1860 census of Maury County, she was listed as Lucinda Marshall, age 16. This could indicated that Elizabeth was not a daughter of Thomas Griffis but a daughter-in-law. She had a daughter Sarah E. Marshall, born 1854.
3. Hicksey Griffis, born 1828. Married, March 29, 1850, Marshall County, Everett C. G. Nickens, born 1823. Issue: 1. Josiah J. H., born 1846; 2. Louisa C., born 1848; 3. Thomas W., born 1849; 4, Houston C., born 1850; 5. Frederick Taylor, born 1852; 6. Samuel N., born 1854; 7. William E., born 1859.
4. Frederick Griffis, born 1831.
5. Martha A. Griffis, born August 29, 1832, died January 1, 1904. Buried Bethlehem Cemetery, Marshall County. Married July 4, 1846, Marshall County, John Clinton, born 1815 in North Carolina, died before 1870. Issue: 1. Thomas, born 1848; 2. Elizabeth, born 1849; 3. Martha Ann, born 1854. Married Alexander N. Crawford; 4. James, born 1858; 5. Minerva, born 1860; 6. John, born 1862.
6. Caroline Griffis, born 1835.
7. Lucinda Griffis, born 1844- or it could mean that Lucinda was the last child of Thomas
and Elizabeth Griffis and just lived with her sister after the parents died.
V. Delilah Griffis, born January 17, 1787 in Virginia, died March 1871. Married September
9, 1807, Miller Doggett, born March 30, 1789, Virginia, died September 7, 1841. Both are buried
in Robertson Fork. See "The Doggett Family" by Mrs. Melvin Lynch, 627 Scenic Drive,
Lewisburg, Tennessee 37091 for 94 pages of descendants of Miller Doggett and Delilah
VI. Willie Griffis, born 1792 in North Carolina. Married Samuel Patrick, born 1781 in North
Carolina. They were in Giles County, Tennessee in the 1840's. In 1850 they were in Maury
County, Tennessee near Cambell Station. They did not appear in the 1860 census of Tennessee,
and nothing conclusive could be found about their children.
VII. Elizabeth Griffis, born 1794 in Virginia, died 1850/60. Buried at Robertson Fork. Married Absolom Holly, born circa 1790's, died January 1840 in Giles County, Tennessee. They had 8 children as follows:
1. William H. Holly, born 1826. Married Martha Sears, born 1829. Issue: 1. Marshall L., born 1847.
2. Sarah Holly, born 1827, unmarried in 1860, in household of John Perry.
3. Jane Holly, born 1828. Married December 19, 1852, Marshall County, John Perry, Born October 11, 1828, died October 26, 1886. Buried Robertson Fork. Issue: 1. Willis, born 1854; 2. Joseph, born 1855; 3. Jane, born 1858; 4. Baby boy, born 1860.
4. Samuel Thomas Holly, born June 1, 1830. Married June 28, 1849, Marshall County, Anna C. Bells, born 1827. Issue: 1. Thomas A. Jerome Holly, born 1850. Married September 2, 1873, Giles County, Tabitha Ionis Griffis, born August 17, 1851, died November 7, 1887. Buried Robertson Fork. Daughter of Thomas Martin Griffis and Nancy Elizabeth Cavender (see Wilkes Family - this issue).
5. Susan Ann Holly, born 1832. Married November 18, 1858, Marshall County, William Denton.
6. Caroline Holly, born 1833.
7. Frances Holly, born 1836.
8. Absolam Green Holly, born 1839, died April 1865. Married November 13, 1858,
Marshall County, Joanah Calahan, born 1838. Issue: 1. Margaret F. W., born 1859
VIII. James Griffis, born April 12, 1799, Granville County, North Carolina, died December 20, 1873. Married Rebecca Griffin, born August 20, 1801, North Carolina, died May 26, 1881. Both Buried in Robertson Fork. They had 10 children as follows:
1. Wiley Perkins Griffis, born 1820, died 1860/65. Married April 16, 1846, Maury County, Julia Stroud, born 1828 in Kentucky, daughter of Eli Stroud. They were in the 1850 and 1860 census of Shelby County, Tennessee and Julia and her children were in the 1865 City of Memphis census. By 1870 the children were living with relatives in the area of Marr's Hill and Robertson Fork. Issue: 1. George Griffis, born 1847. Married February 26, 1885, Giles County, A. L. White; 2. Mary Belle Griffis, born June 1849, died November 3, 1930, Navarro, Texas. Married December 17, 1847, Giles County, Stephen Groves Calvert, Jr., born February 1850, died 1918 in Texas. Son of S. G. Calvert, Sr. and Sarah B. Jones. Both are buried at White Church Cemetery at Blooming Grove, Navarro County, Texas. Mary Belle was with her grandmother in the household of Thomas J. Calvert in the 1870 census; 3. Laura A. Griffis, born August 26, 1856, died July 13, 1933, Navarro County. Buried Dresden Cemetery. Married May 12, 1890, Navarro County, Elisha Reagen. She was in the Marr's Hill area in 1870 and she with her sister Mary Belle, joined the Marr's Hill Baptist Church in 1871.
2. Sarah J. Griffis, born 1821. Married July 21, 1865, Giles County, D. G. Page, born 1820.
3. Martha Ellen Griffis, born March 1823, Giles County, died 1900/10, Hill County, Texas. Buried Liberty Hill Cemetery, Navarro County, Texas. Married (1) Moore, (2) September 15, 1847, Marshall County, William James Wright, born June 22, 1824, Maury County. Son of James Wright and Nancy Park (James Wright married (1) July 5, 1843, Maury County, Louisa Moore). Issue: 1. Serilda A. Moore, born October 20, 1842, died January 10, 1880, Liberty Hill Cemetery. Married Andrew Wright, born August 18, 1836, died January 21, 1886. Son of James Wright and Nancy Park; 2. James Washington Wright, born March 3, 1845; 3. Mary Ann Wright, born September 1847. Married Frank B. Cook; 4. Sarah Jane Wright, born October 1850. Married (1) Mount, (2) Moses Bauman; 5. William Wallace Wright, born January 24, 1853, died after 1892, Texas. Married October 1878, Navarro County, Texas, Julia Mildred Anderson; 6. Joseph Bruce Wright, born February 1855, died October 1947 Wichita Falls, Texas. Married Hattie Anderson; 7. Izora F. C. Wright, born Hill County, Texas. Married January 1, 1879, Hill County, Texas, Richard Thomas Hight.
4. Thomas Martin Griffis, born October 1826, Died July 1915. Married (1) October 17, 1846, Marshall County, Nancy Elizabeth Cavender, born 1829, Died September 22, 1879. Both buried Robertson Fork. Daughter of George Cavender and Sarah B. Wilkes, (2) December 12, 1890, Giles County, Julia Fox, born December 2, 1842, died 1935. Buried Robertson Fork. Issue: 1. Andrew Jackson Griffis, born July 22, 1847, Marshall County, died October 8, 1914. Married (1) December 22, 1872, Marshall County, Martha Elizabeth Tucker, born 1852, died 1888. Daughter of Jess Owen Tucker and Elizabeth Dabney Warren, (2) December 8, 1888, Marshall County, Nancy Henrietta Tucker, born February 8, 1847, died 1928. Sister of Martha Elizabeth, all buried Robertson Fork. He was in Company E, 11th Cavalry, CSA. Andrew J. attended Cumberland University in Lebanon and afterward taught school a short time. He then began the mercantile business with A. D. Wallace, and in 1872 formed the firm of Griffis Bros. at Robertson Fork with his brother, James M. Griffis. Issue: aa. Thomas Owen Griffis, b. 11/18/1873, d. 8/1947, New Iberia, LA, m. 8/26/1900, Bertha Virginia McCord, b. 3/23/1876 d. 9/12/1976, New Iberia, LA. Daut. of Theodore F. McCord and Nancy Henrietta Bryant. He was a teacher. They had 4 children; bb. Lillie Griffis, born 1876. Married (1) 1/29/1896, Marshall County, Thomas Alvin Calvert, born 1877. Son of John D. Calvert and Martha D. Wilkes, (2) 10/2/1904, Marshall County, Joseph Marugg. They moved to Pueblo, Colorado; cc. Vesta Valeria Griffis, born 1878, died 1899. Buried Robertson Fork; dd. Alice Pearl Griffis, born 10/1879, died 9/28/1907. Buried Robertson Fork. Married 1/22/1899, Marshall County, Perry Wilkes, son of C. R. Wilkes. From her obituary..."died at her father's home after a years illness from consumption. She leaves her husband and two small children."; ee. John Hollins Griffis, born 1/1883, married 6/10/1909, Era Orr; ff. Elizabeth Maud Griffis, born 5/1886, died 1959, married 10/16/1906, Marshall County, W. Brown Fox, born 1884, died 1961, both buried Beechwood Cemetery, Cornersville; gg. Andrew Blythe Griffis, born 3/1888, married Christine Malchom; 2. James Monroe Griffis, born 6/23/1849, Marshall County, died 6/1935. Married 7/7/1875, Giles County, Frances Ann Farmer, born 1/31/1854, died 3/10/1908. Both buried Robertson Fork. Issue: aa. Leota May Griffis, born 8/28/1876, died 8/28/1877, buried Robertson Fork; bb. Audie Monroe Griffis, born 7/30/1878, died 9/24/1882, buried Robertson Fork; cc. Charles Buford Griffis, born 6/30/1880, died in Rayville, LA, married 6/7/1905 Lena Atkins; dd. Mendoza Marks Griffis, born 2/11/1884, died 8/5/1962, Italy, Ellis County, Texas, married James Abner Marsolis; ee. Lessie Farmer Griffis, born 6/22/1887, married 10/13/1908, Marshall County, Monte Hardin Luna; ff. Edward Brown Griffis, born 9/6/1889, died 1965, married 12/26/1912, Odelene Alexander; 3. Tabitha Ionis Griffis, born 8/17/1851, died 11/7/1888. Buried Robertson Fork, married 9/2/1873, Giles County, Thomas Jerome Holly, son of Samuel Thomas Holly and Anna C. Rills. Issue: aa. Lazinka Holly, married Harrison Davis; bb. Ada Holly, married 12/25/1895, Marshall County, William H. Haislip. They moved to Obion County, Tennessee; cc. Joe M. Holly, born 1880, died 1960, buried Lone Oak Cemetery, Lewisburg, married 8/29/1908, Marshall County, Etta Jordan; dd. Luther C. Holly, born 9/2/1882, died 2/5/1963, buried Lone Oak Cemetery. Married 8/15/1907, Marshall County, Ozella Jobe; ee. Oscar Lush Holly, born 1/21/1886, died 3/26/1957, buried Short Cemetery, Marshall County. Married 12/24/1907. Marshall County, Eula Burgess; 4. Alice Victoria Griffis, born 10/27/1853, died 10/9/1855, buried Old Bear Creek; 5. Dewitt Johnson Griffis, born 8/23/1855, died 10/3/1917. Married 6/27/1876, Marshall County, Lavonia F. Edwards, born 10/1858, daughter of M. V. and Mary A. Edwards. Issue: aa. Ethel Griffis, born 4/14/1881, died 8/14/1905, buried Robertson Fork. Married 1/13/1903, Giles County, John Luther Boatright. In her obituary written by W. L. Wheeler..."She professed religion and joined the Pleasant View Cumberland Presbyterian Church about 10 years ago...She was bright and cheerful through her long suffering...She leaves a young husband and a father and mother of whom she was the only child to mourn their sad loss."; 6. Sarah Virginia Griffis, born 12/6/1857, died 8/26/1896, buried Robertson Fork. Married 3/8/1883, Marshall County, Robert F. Bills. Issue: aa. Nannie, married Charles H. Hamm, lived in Georgia; bb. Nena, married Harry Tidwell, lived in Georgia; cc. Eskel, lived in Florida; dd. a child who died young. His obituary reads, "A sad accident occurred in the family of Mr. R. F. Bills last Saturday am. The little 2 year old child while playing in a chair, fell to the floor, striking its head on the corner of another chair. Concussion of the brain was caused and death resulted. Burial took place at Robertson Fork Cemetery Sunday afternoon."; 7. Clementine Gordan Griffis, born 9/25/1861, died 1/1919. Married 11/18/1880, Marshall County, John Daniel Boatwright, born 1856, died 1913, both buried Robertson Fork. Issue: aa. Floyd, born 1881, died 1904; bb. Thomas, born and died 1888; cc. Sally born and died 1892. All buried Robertson Fork Cemetery; 8. Robert W. Griffis, born 3/1864. Married 10/19/1887, Marshall County, Josie L. Pickens, daughter of Columbus Pickens. They moved to Texas. Issue: aa. Morgan, born 1888; bb. Nannie Lou, born 1890; 9. George Wiley Griffis, born 7/1868. Married 9/23/1897, Marshall County, Margaret Gordan, born 9/1876. In 1810 census they had no children; 10. Cora Griffis, born 1871. Married 5/15/1887, Marshall County, Charles C. Richardson;
5. Wesley W. Griffis, born September 21, 1828, died April 12, 1911. Married (1) 1855, Giles County, Sarah A. Edmonson, born August 13, 1837, Died December 23, 1889, both buried Marr's Hill. Daughter of Joseph Grissom Edmonson and Jane E. Wilkes, (2) December 5, 1895, Marshall County, Mrs. Nancy C. Sanders. Issue: 1. Ferdinand Guy Griffis, born 1856; 2. Lavanda Ida Griffis, born 6/26/1857, died 10/3/1901. Married 10/18/1881, Marshall County, Robert W. London, born 1854, died 1939, both buried Marr's Hill Cemetery. Issue: aa. Mamie, married Dolpheus Wilson; bb. Wesley Wilson, born 1884, died 1889, buried Marr's Hill; cc. Orvous Porter, born 1887, died 1894, buried Marr's Hill; 3. Samuel O. (West) Griffis, born 1859, married 6/17/1886, Marshall County, Sophie Walker. In 1914 he was in Kiowa County, Oklahoma with his brother Joe; 4. Mary Emma Griffis, born 10/11/1861, died 10/24/1922, buried Marr's Hill; 5. Joseph Reese Griffis, born 1866, died 7/7/1941, Dallas, Texas. Married 3/29/1891, Ellis County, Texas, Lillian Steadman; 5. Rebecca Jane Griffis, born 1867. Married 12/25/1890, Marshall County, Jesse Martin; 6. Velna W. Griffis, born 1897; 7. Vesta V. Griffis, born 4/1899.
6. James D. Griffis, born July 1, 1831, died August 13, 1911. Married Lucinda Walker, born November 9, 1827, died January 26, 1900. Both buried Marr's Hill. He was a Sgt. in Company D, 53rd Inf in the Civil War. Issue: 1. William N. Griffis, born 5/1857. Married 1/21/1883, Marshall County, Maggie T. Turner, born 3/1859. Issue: aa. Lillie M., born 1/1883; bb. Judson, born 7/1886; cc. Nannie, born 1888; dd. Elsie, born 8/1890; ee. Josie, born 3/1892; ff. Lena, born 12/1894; gg. Willie, born 1896; 2. Martha E. Griffis, born 10/1859, On 10/1/1901 a marriage license was taken out in Marshall County to marry Thomas Barrett, but it was not returned; 3. Sarah Jane Griffis, born 11/26/1864, died 3/20/1944. Married 7/5/1881, Marshall County, John W. Wallace, born 2/27/1862, died 1/27/1932. Both buried Marr's Hill; 4. Mary Josephine Griffis, born 12/1866, died 1959, buried Marr's Hill. Married (1) 1/1/1902, Marshall County, S. S. Sanders, (2) Ealy.
7. John P. Griffis, born 1833. Married (1) 1858, Mary F. Screws, died by 1860. Daughter of Nathan Screws, (2) Amanda Jane Hannah. He was the Sheriff of Basque County, Texas in 1860. Issue: 1. William T., born 10/1859. Was in California in 1900.
8. Robert Van Buren Griffis, born May 15, 1836, died December 20, 1900, Italy, Ellis County, Texas. Married January 1, 1867, Giles County, Tennessee, Mary Amanda Malvina Jones, born November 26, 1844, McNairy County, Tennessee, died August 10, 1910, Medina County, Texas. Daughter of John H. Jones and Jane E. Taliaferro. She Became an orphan at an early age and was reared by Stephen G. Calvert and wife Sarah Jones, her aunt. Robert was a Sgt. in Company B, 3rd Inf in the Civil War. Issue: 1. Jeb Stewart Griffis, born 9/27/1867, Giles County, died 11/26/1939, McKinney, Collins County, Texas. Buried Pecan Grove Cemetery. Married (1) 12/9/1894, Ellis County, Texas, Delia Jane Slay, (2) 10/8/1921, Dallas, Texas, Sophia E. Fox, (3) Vera Dowlin Rogers; 2. Jefferson Meldon Griffis, born 5/17/1869, Giles County, died 7/2/1941, Waxahachie, Ellis County, Texas, buried Italy Cemetery. Married 5/2/1915, Ellis County, Texas, Lena Jane Self; 3. Lelia Jane Griffis, born 11/7/1871, died 4/25/1947, Dallas, Texas; 4. John Wesley Griffis, born 2/12/1873, Giles County, died 2/8/1926, McKinney, Collins County, Texas. Married 11/16/1904, Christian County, Illinois, Bertha E. Locke; 5. R. J. Griffis, born 8/8/1876, Giles County, died 12/6/1958, Sulphur Springs, Collins County, Texas. Married 9/21/1906, Navarro County, Texas, L. A. (Lonnie) Williamson; 6. Jenny Vertner Griffis, born 10/23/1878, Italy, Texas, died 1/11/1959, Texas; 7. Julia May Griffis, born 5/10/1881, Italy, Texas, died 9/30/1968, Texas. Married (1) 11/30/1898, Ellis County, Texas, Meredith Poindexter Gentry, (2) 9/17/1910, Dallas, Texas, John A. Deavey, (3) 9/9/1914, Dallas, Texas, John L. Drury, (4) William Wayne Jennings.
9. George M. Griffis, born 1838, died October 27, 1895, Ellis County, Texas. Married August 21, 1859, Vermilion County, Illinois, Nancy A. Ashley, born July 1840, Illinois, died January 13, 1929, Long Beach, California. He was in the Union Army from Illinois in the Civil War. Issue: 1. James; 2. Stephen; 3. Bill E., born 1865, Vermilion County; 4. Rena A., born 12/1873, Kansas, died Long Beach, CA. Married 7/2/1910, Ft. Worth, Texas, H. A. Cooper.
10. Mary Frances Griffis, born December 11, 1844, died December 29, 1929. Married
January 1, 1867, Thomas Jeff Calvert, born November 30, 1844, died July 12, 1927.
Both buried Robertson Fork. Son of Stephen Grover Calvert and Sarah B. Jones
IX. Frances Griffis, born 1800, Granville County, North Carolina, died before 1870, Lawrence County. Married Landon Kincaid, born 1800, Kentucky, died 1855, Lawrence County. Issue:
1. Thomas G. Kincaid, born 1822, died before 1870. Married Sarah N. Meese, born 1822, Tennessee. She married (2) 6/2/1876, Lawrence County, W. B. Norman. Issue: 1. Frances J. Kincaid, born 1847. Married 9/2/1869, Lawrence County, Francis J. Kiddy; 2. Sarah E. Kincaid, born 1849. Married 11/18/1869, Lawrence County, Arten S. Crews; 3. William James Kincaid, born 1851. Married Eliza, last name unknown; 4. Martha A. F. Kincaid, born 1853. Married 7/12/1871, Lawrence County, Felix L. Williams; 5. Thomas G. Kincaid, born 1861.
3. David A. Kincaid, born 1823, died after 1882. Married Susan C., last name unknown, born 1821. Issue: 1. Mahala A., born 1850; 2. Narcissa F., born 1852; 3. Nancy J., born 1854; 4. Burrass, born 1855; 5. Jeremiah S., born 1859.
4. Samuel J. Kincaid, born October 9, 1825, died March 5, 1857. Buried Old Marr's Cemetery. Married Martha L. Robbins, born 1825. Issue: 1. Elisha R., born 1852; 2 Eldward, born 1856; 3. James, born 1858.
5. James H. Kincaid, born 1826. Married (1) Ann, last name unknown, born 1838, (2) Mrs. Maria Richardson, born circa 1867. They lived in the 12th district of Giles County. Issue: 1 William, born 1850; 2. Sarah, born 1852; 3. John, born 1854; 4. James, born 1859; 5. David, born 1868.
6. Willis S. Kincaid, born 1834, Giles County, died after 1882.
7. Martha L. (Patsy) Kincaid, born 1836, Giles County. Married December 25, 1859, Thomas J. Norman.
8. Mary Frances E. Kincaid, born 1837, Giles County. Married October 6, 1866, Lawrence County, M. J. McNeil. They were in Ellis County, Texas in 1873.
9. George W. Kincaid, born 1839, Giles County, died before 1873.
10. Ruth E. Kincaid, born 1840, Giles County. Married December 20, 1860, Lawrence
County, William E. Norman. Issue: 1. James B., born 1862; 2. Sabra C., born 1866; 3.
Laura J., born 1868.